Friday, February 18, 2011

RSV!

So I took Douglas back to the Doctor today, because since his visit for ear infections last Sat. he's been deaf! Hasn't been able to hear much (or at least me talking to him) all week. I almost left Drew home with Dudley, but he wanted to come too, so I brought him along. All I can say is "good thing!"
Dr. Sylvia Morin is AWESOME! She checked out Douglas, said he's doing ok, but gave him a stronger antibiotic to kick the ear infections in the butt.. then asked me how Drew was doing? I told her he had a cold as well, but hadn't been acting too bad or complaining too much. She asked to check him real quick, turns out he has a bad ear infection in his right ear, AND RSV! My goodness! I told her how he's been keeping me up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night, basically every night, but I had assumed it was because of his cold, he hasn't complained to me about ear pain at all! Yes he's been a little whiney, and yes he hasn't been eating that well, and yes he's had a cough, but nothing like what Douglas has been doing. Douglas' cough was pretty much non-stop, Drew coughs 2-4 times a day, it sounds bad, but isn't constant. What I've come to realize is that Drew doesn't complain anywhere near as much as Douglas does! Even their Doc said he was a laid back kid!
To top it off, I told her that Dudley had been to the Doc yesterday for sinus infection/general crappiness, she told me RSV in adult usually manifests as a severe cold that takes forever to clear up. She thinks the whole family has it! Blah!
Good news is she isn't too worried about Drew, said its almost better for kids that age to let it run its course, but to get back with her if he isn't sounding better in a week. She stuck both boys on antibiotics and told me to keep everyone home for a few days.
Good thing it's a long weekend eh?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so so sorry. That sounds totally miserable. Too bad it's such a long drive to get here. Being sick is always a lot easier when it's warm outside. I hope you guys get through it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN!! that really sucks! Have you gotten it? It's hard when mom is sick, taking care of everyone. Hopefully now you know what it is and are on the right meds, it will all clear up soon!

    ReplyDelete