Monday, February 7, 2011

Weekly updates?

Everyone is winding down on posting here.. c'mon it's only February! Sheesh!
So maybe the idea of doing weekly posts would work better?

Anywho...
I went to my brain doctor today (just to get my drivers licence renewal approved), and she informed me about a few issues that can cause sleep apnea:
* Weight gain
* Acid reflux
* Allergies or other sinus problems
* Allergy or antihistamine medication
* Depression or Anxiety medication
* Neck and tonsil size

These are the most common, and here are the effects of sleep apnea:
* High blood pressure
* Stroke
* Heart Failure, irregular heart beats, heart attacks
* Diabetes
* Depression
* Worsening of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)

Signs of sleep apnea include:
* Snoring
* Daytime sleepiness
* Feeling unrefreshed after a nights sleep
* Memory and concentration problems
* Morning or night headaches
* Personality changes
* Heartburn or sour taste in mouth at night
* Swelling of legs
* Frequent urination during the night
* Sweating or chest pain while asleep
* Tossing and turning
* Episodes of not breathing
* Nighttime choking or gasping

Sounds like just about anybody can fall into some if not quite a few of these categories, huh?

When I did my overnight sleep test 3 years ago, I woke up on average 3 times per hour. Many effects of sleep apnea are treated without giving thought to this being the cause. Once diagnosed you need to sleep with a CPAP (mask to keep your airways open), an oral dental device, or have surgery to correct the blockage of your airway.

Hmmmm... interesting. My doctor isn't pressuring me to do anything unless I feel I need to, but she suggested strongly that I exercise before DINNER, not in the morning as generally suggested. This should help me sleep better. She also told me NOT TO GAIN WEIGHT. (Hence the relativity of this post to 'Our Tiny Hiney's) Another suggestion was to use a treadmill daily.

So, now I have even MORE reason to get my butt in gear and get some exercising done!

On my nutrition note:
Doing well today after having 2 chocolate chip cookies for breakfast (on the way to the Dr...easiest thing to grab), for lunch however I had a salad, and dinner was cream cheese potato soup. (Did I exercise before dinner? NO! What the (*@#&$& is wrong with me? I did cruise KSL looking at used treadmills though!)

I got some Pepsi throwback on sale over the weekend, and realized today that every time I drink one my heart rate increases dramatically, to the point of discomfort. Guess who won't be drinking any more of those? I'm also going to try to cut down to 1 Coke a day, eventually weaning off completely. Will let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Steff, what a post! Sorry on the sleep apnia...can you exercise at night? You go girl on the Coke quiting. I just watched a thing on the news saying they've now proven that high sodium is the common factor that causes strokes and heart attacks in 69% of the people who had them...two cans of soda = over a third of your recommended daily intake...so the doctors are saying no more than one can a day...food for thought

    ReplyDelete